For Medical Complaints and Claims You Need a Specialist

If you have questions, such as those listed below, it's a very good idea to speak (free of charge) to a specialist firm of solicitors with experience of this complex area of medical law, to get expert advice on complaining, or claiming compensation, for medical injury. It can be daunting thinking about complaining, or claiming, against the NHS--we are here to help.

"How do I complain about my medical treatment?"
"Will complaining about my medical care affect my ongoing treatment?"
"Was my medical treatment acceptable?"
"Was there a failure in my medical care?"
"My surgery went wrong; what should I do?"
"How do I sue my doctor?"
"How do I sue a hospital?"
"How do I sue my G.P.?"
"I think my doctor has been negligent" or,
"I think I have suffered a medical accident" and so, "How do I find out?" or,
"How do I prove this?"

Medical negligence claims need specialist solicitors to instruct independent medical experts to comment on whether the treatment provided was negligent: a good case can fail simply by  instructing the wrong medical expert; only specialist firms tend to know the best medico-legal experts.

We can advise upon the full range of medical claims, such as birth injury, injury to mothers whilst giving birth, surgical errors, anaesthetic problems (such as being awake during your anaesthetic), orthopaedic and dental negligence, neglect of the elderly or vulnerable patients, delayed diagnosis and mis-diagnosis by general practitioners, or delayed diagnosis and mis-diagnosis by an NHS hospital, or a private hospital doctor. Delayed diagnosis and mis-diagnosis cover a very wide range of medical conditions;it's not uncommon for us to advise upon delayed diagnosis of cancer, and where cancer has been mis-diagnosed. Please take a look at our page on Medical Cases to see details of past cases, in some of which we have acted for the claimants--we  act for clients in the whole of the UK and we will travel to see our clients.