Delay in their diagnosis is a very common reason for a patient to contact specialist medical lawyers for advice. There is also help available through various agencies and charities. Here you will find a selection of some of the more well-known. However, if you cannot find what you are looking for, please feel free to ask our friendly team for some help in getting you to the right place for support.

This page is divided into 3 sections:

  1. First practical steps.
  2. Agencies that can help
  3. Agencies if you need counselling or support
  4. Other places to go for financial advice and support


If you do not have a clear diagnosis, or your diagnosis has been delayed, you are still entitled to support for your needs. You may feel that a GP or treating doctors in hospital have not acted quickly enough or have not taken concerns seriously enough. You could benefit from help to achieve a diagnosis or at least get some answers. It is understandable to feel upset or even angry; but it is important to reach out and ensure you are looking after the basics:

  1. Consider engaging with the GP Surgery’s or Hospital’s formal complaint procedure. This is a good opportunity to ask questions about your treatment and raise concerns in a formal manner. For further guidance on how to make a medical complaint and understanding how this process can support your potential or existing claim, please refer to our comprehensive guide.
  2. Requesting a referral, making a request to see a different doctor or even changing your GP surgery altogether, may be the right course of action for you. A second opinion can sometimes make a world of difference; and we recommend that if you are not happy with your treatment it is better to speak out. We can help you make a change if that is what you want to do. Locate GP practices in your local area to find a suitable one for you.


Syndromes Without a Name (SWAN)

Telephone number +44020 7831 0883.


For when a child or young adult is believed to have a genetic condition and testing has failed to identify its genetic cause.

Foundation for People with Learning Disabilities


This Foundation influences government to better assist people with learning disabilities and their needs along with families and carers


Telephone number 0808 808 3555.


Contact is a charity which provides advice and information about any concern a family might have about raising a child with additional needs.


British Association for Counselling

Telephone number 0870 443 5252.


Dedicated to the promotion of counselling and maintenance of standards and training and practice, providing information on training and lists of local counsellors on receipt of a S.A.E.

The Samaritans


They are there around the clock, 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.  This number is FREE to call. You don’t have to be suicidal to call them




The Money Advice Service

For advice on benefits entitlement and financial matters, we recommend you seek further information via your local authority website for local support services or at The Money Advice Service:

Age UK benefits advice for older people

Age UK is for those over State Pension age and living in the area covered by the local branch. Some local branches of Age UK offer a free, confidential benefits advice service. Practical assistance to make sure you’re getting all the benefits to which you are entitled. They can provide advice by telephone, face-to-face, and home visits and help with completing forms.

Telephone the Age UK Helpline: 0800 169 6565 (8am-7pm, 365 days a year)

Website:  Age UK website

Gingerbread Single Parent Helpline

Gingerbread provides advice and practical support for single parents, including advice on benefits and tax credits.

You can call free on 0808 802 0925 (Monday: 10am to 6pm, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday: 10am to 4pm, Wednesday: 10am-1pm and 5pm-7pm)

Debt advice

If you’re worried about keeping up with debt repayments, there is lots of free, confidential help and advice available. Find out more by following the link below:

Where to go to get free debt advice

Housing advice

If you have rent or mortgage arrears or you’re worried about losing your home, Shelter offers confidential advice on a range of housing issues.

Why Choose Us?

We’ve handled many different types of medical negligence cases and provided expert advice for over 30 years.

  • We offer FREE, no obligation legal advice all throughout
  • Our processes are hassle free & we handle all the paperwork
  • We won't charge you a penny until your case has been settled

Our surgery claims expert:

Caroline Moore

Managing Director/Head of Sheffield Office